The following exercises are intended for individuals with scoliosis. Exercise is vital for good physical health, but it is recommended to get a doctor’s examination first for people with moderate to severe scoliosis.
Step down to reach one-arm
When you lay on your back, step onto a small box or step, with whichever leg appears longer.
- Lower the opposite leg when you bend your knee down to the ground.
- When you descend, lift the arm when high as possible on the same side as the lower leg. For instance, if the left foot descends to the floor, lift the left arm.
- On that side only, perform 2 to 3 sets of 5 to 10 reps. Do not perform on the other side of the exercise.
Upward and downward dog
- Push your hips back and up as far as possible in a prone plank position with your arms straight outstretched.
- Keep this for 2 seconds, then drop your hips to the floor again.
- Without giving yourself back discomfort or pain, try to get as low as possible.
- Do 2 to 3 5 to 10 reps sets.
Split stance with arm reach
- With a slightly exaggerated stride length, step forward with the longer leg in front.
- Hold the torso still as upright as possible.
- Start shifting your weight back and forth when you feel the weight change on it, allowing the forward knee to bend.
- Lift the arm that is opposite your forward leg as far as possible up to the sky as you move your weight forward.
- When that arm is reaching upward, as far as possible, reach the other arm back with the palm up. This allows the side of the forward leg to shift toward the torso and spine.
- Perform only on that side of this exercise. Do 2 to 3 5 to 10 reps sets.
As a treatment for mild to severe scoliosis, exercise is being recommended more and more. You may be able to delay the curvature of your spine and reduce the pain you experience as a result of your scoliosis by being proactive and doing these exercises. As a treatment to relieve discomfort, pilates and yoga exercises specifically targeted at those with reduced spinal flexibility, can also serve. Even one that requires basic exercises, it is important to always get your orthopedist’s advice before starting a scoliosis treatment regimen. This means that by doing such exercises, you will not damage your skeletal system. If the pain persists, then it is highly recommended to opt for professional help. Click here to learn more about professional scoliosis treatment in Singapore.